Tuesday 21 February 2017

It's mizzling.

No sooner do I say how much I'm enjoying a bit of sunshine than it's back to mizzle - mist and rain. How dreary! It's really miserable out, low light levels, cold and damp, goodness knows how the spring flowers put up with it. The snowdrops look delicate but they are hardy little things. I've brought some into the house to enjoy.
There are more than five hundred cultivars of these dainty 'milk flowers' but I have only two or three un-named varieties.

New flowers are forming on my orchids. This plant had white flowers when it was given to me as a present several years ago. Since then any new shoot has produced yellow flowers.
Ain't life strange?!

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Orchids get pampered. Snowdrops are out there battling with the elements and still looking good - now that's what I call cool!

      Delete
  2. It is muzzling here as well, I grab every bit of clear weather and work in the gardens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had some damaging winds and a great deal of rain just lately, Doc. I'm still confined to quarters.

      Delete
  3. Oh beauty Rosemary. No flowers here yet, but it is glorious and warm today with lots of sunshine. I'm planting onions and lettuce in a bit. Going to try and plant tomato seeds under a cloche.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every year I tell myself that I will plant some snowdrops, but I always forget. I have to satisfy myself by enjoying my neighbors. Yours are beauties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do buy some, they will multiply and give you so much pleasure at a bleak time of year.

      Delete
  5. Dreary - thank you for this word. That's exactly how our Sunday walk in the woods has been. We looked out for snowdrops and found none. Probably because boars had ploughed through the woods.
    I don't like saying this, but nature can look miserable: wet soil, no green, mud and overcast skies. Dreary.
    I named that day the "this year's most unattractive day".
    So lets turn towards the bright moments, inside the house, including yellow Orchids. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cold and rainy here today and I've had enough of it. It's about this time of year when I dream of living in a warm, dry climate!

      Delete