Friday 27 January 2017

Brrr.

A morning sky for Skywatch Friday.
It's cold.
Skywatching this week has involved being able to see little more than grey mist. Some days have been positively dreich, such a descriptive Scottish word for dull, wet, dreary weather. My mother was a Scot and my grandmother Irish and many celtic words remain in common use in our household.
Big brother phoned to ask if I'd eaten haggis on Burn's night. He complained that he'd been unable to buy one wrapped in anything other than plastic and was not very happy about the fact. I told him that was a minor complaint, that I'd gone to buy my haggis only to find them on sale either sliced or in the shape of a sausage. Some haggis were labeled vegetarian. Come on, a haggis, vegetarian! Isn't that an oxymoron? What about tradition, sheep's pluck, oats and  spices all wrapped up into a nice round ball in the lining of an animal's stomach, how can you improve on that?
No answers on a postcard, thank you very much!

11 comments:

  1. On a blog I read " Cro Magon"he just talked about canned haggis that he liked. Never knew they made canned haggis !
    Tell you the truth vegetarian haggis might be better than the real meat kind.

    cheers, parsnip

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take a look at Cro's blog on a regular basis and am very envious in the summer months when his swimming pool is in action! Canned haggis sounds like a step too far. But having read Weaver's comment below I think I'll sample the vegetarian option.

      Delete
  2. Lovely shots...but it sounds like you need to plan a trip to Florida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, sunshine and warmth is exactly what I crave!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. That's the view from our bedroom window when we draw back the curtains each morning to see what the day has in store.

      Delete
  4. Dreich - a perfect word for the weather in upstate New York, too. And now, to ponder vegetarian haggis. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great word, isn't it, you can almost feel the cold water dripping down your neck!

      Delete
  5. My son is vegetarian and buys veggie haggis at Campbells in Leyburn almost every week - his favourite meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Campbells, what a fine establishment it has become in recent years - almost as good as Lewis and Cooper! Now I'll have to try the veggie version.

      Delete
  6. Those are beautiful views from your garden. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete