Monday 15 June 2015

British Flowers Week

Today is the start of British Flowers Week, an annual celebration of flowers grown in the UK, with events taking place all over the country. Take a look at the beautiful dress made out of larkspur blooms by Zita Elze on britishflowersweek.com
June is my favourite month to be in the garden, the growth is fresh and lush and I am full of optimism!

Vegetables that were barely visible a few short weeks ago
suddenly look like a promising crop.



But the asparagus season is already over, we could always eat far more than I manage to grow.

The potted citrus trees have been put outside for the summer.
I sprinkle white foxglove seeds all about the garden. They often pop up in unexpected places and sometimes the bees have pollinated them from the wild foxgloves in the woods and I have to pull up shades of pink and red and put them on the compost heap.



It's lovely to walk around the garden at the end of the day.


This morning I was busy with the shears trimming the bay and box and rosemary.

But the month of June is really all about roses.
Here are Constance Spry and Charles de Mills - what a pair! (Actually, Charlie boy is a bit of a thug unless his roots are controlled.)
Everywhere I look there are roses.




The bees are happy.
Pascali
A rather scruffy Cinderella.
The Queen of Denmark
Charles Rennie Mackintosh
Gertrude Jekyll
Raubritter
Rosa Mundi
Charles de Mills
Plenty to pick in celebration of British Flowers Week.


14 comments:

  1. Nice to see everything so green and pretty.
    Merle...............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a good downpour of rain the other day and everything green just soaked it up with delight.

      Delete
  2. Goodness! Just a beautiful sight in every single direction! Your veggies look amazing and your blooms! They are just bursting! So inspiring.....happy gardening to you!! And I like the idea of spreading those seeds and seeing where they pop up! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden is looking lovely - and so many roses - I could almost smell them from here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to grow varieties that have a good perfume. Some flowers, such as freesias, that I remember having a wonderful scent in my childhood, no longer seem to have any perfume at all. And quite a number of sweet pea varieties no longer smell sweet!

      Delete
  4. Just beautiful! Our lilacs are ending and we are moving on to Peonies and bachelor buttons. I gave a few foxgloves, but they don't bloom here till well into July. I remember being extremely jealous that they grow like weeds in Europe - so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flower seasons are so fleeting, perhaps that's why we value them so. Yes, foxgloves are an early summer flower here in England - and the bees are loving them!

      Delete
  5. June is my favourite summer month too. July can be hot, but June if perfect.
    Your roses are just lovely! It must be nice to have them in such abundance.The irises and foxgloves in a number of photos are beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, June is my month of plenty for garden flowers. And July can, on occasion, be hot here, but never too hot for me!

      Delete
  6. You have such a lovely garden, I love the idea of sprinkling seeds of the white foxglove around the garden and your roses are wonderful - so pretty:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In reality my garden is a bit scruffy, Rosie, but it seems to scrub up quite well for the photos. It's a space I just love to be in.

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful garden and lovely roses you have!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Poirot. At the moment the roses are a joy.

    ReplyDelete