Sunday 5 February 2012

Mud

Dear Bloggers, I live vicariously through your postings, enjoying Paula's pristine snow in Austria and the warmth of Janet's world in California. What am I offering you today by way of return?

MUD!

Yesterday's hard frost, cold wind and swirling snow disappeared overnight. What's more the shooting season is over and the woods have returned to silence. Time to get out of doors and go for a walk.



But it is still winter and requires a fair bit of layering; vest, tee shirt, shirt, cardi, and that's just for starters.













Maisie wears a fleece jumper in wet, muddy weather. It stops her from getting dirty and having to have a bath. You can tell from her expression what she thinks of it!


















One of our daughters sent me the card below. (But she has never had to wash the dog and, believe me, a jumper is the lesser of two evils.)

We kept to the edge of the woods. The ground was still frozen beneath the top layer of slithery mud.

Himself was looking through the coppiced trees to find a good length of wood in order to make a new thumb stick.

There are signs that spring is coming. Snowdrops drift in the garden.

I picked a savoy cabbage from the veg garden for lunch.

It had a frozen heart!

13 comments:

  1. The season of mud. Messy but necessary. Thanks for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best thing about the mud is what it tells me of who has been along the track before me. There were the clear hoof prints of many deer and a the paw prints of an enormous dog - at least I'm assuming that it was a dog!

      Delete
  2. Oh how I wish I could pick anything from my garden right now! I can't wait until spring's first offerings. Thank you for sharing with us!

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slim pickings from the veg garden just now and it looks very neglected and forlorn. But seed catalogues keep arriving in the post so everything promises!

      Delete
  3. You can keep the cabbage in the garden all winter? Do you have to insulate it with grass or hay or anything like that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't cover them but I'm beginning to think that I should. The only veg remaining in the ground are parsnips,swede, sprouts and cabbage, everything else is safely stored inside.

      Delete
  4. Maisie is adorable. Willie doesn't mind my putting his sweater on. He doesn't mind wearing it. However, taking it off is another thing. He is always shocked...you can actually see sparks. Bless them!

    Snow does have a way of leaving a slushy mess, doesn't it? Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maisie loves having her jumper off, it's like skinning a rabbit! She rolls about on the floor in relief.

      Delete
  5. 'Season of Mud' sounds like an interesting story! Even if there is mud, you live in a lovely spot. Your knitting is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Describing it as the 'season of mud' makes it sound interesting, Susan. It aint!

      Knitting?!! I couldn't knit to save my life. Maisie's jumper is a purpose bought dog fleece made by Equifleece. They make them with decorative fur collars, but that's going too far!

      Delete
  6. my kids, although they enjoy the snow, would LOVE that MUD!!!

    ... and a frozen heart is always such a waste...

    thanks for your lovely lovely comment today : )

    hope the week ahead treats you good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Demie, that frozen heart thawed, (as they do!) so it wasn't wasted.
      When my girls were small they liked to make mud 'cakes' decorated with leaves and seeds which I then had to pretend to buy and eat. Mmm, delicious!

      Delete
  7. Mud, mud, glorious mud! It looks like you are having the same as us. It's why we tackled the compost bins at the allotment and not the boggy 'soil'. I hope hubby found his stick lol!

    ReplyDelete